Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Learning Guide for Beginners. Search Engine Optimization, a technique that is often a mystery as well as the most sought after. Techniques that are often “scared” by beginners who are just learning are also used as “mainstay weapons” by search engine (SEO) experts.
But, what exactly is the function of SEO optimization? Well, SEO methods that are used correctly will help increase rankings and traffic to our website. If you are a blogger who intends to monetize a blog or if you are an Internet marketer, SEO will certainly be indispensable.
In this post, we will discuss how to optimize SEO in full. What technique is it? Here’s the full review:
Optimizing On-page SEO on the Website
On-page SEO is a technique to maximize the performance of a website by search engine regulations, in this case, Google. Before we start optimizing individual pages, please make sure that your entire website is set up properly.
We still often find websites that are not SEO friendly, even on websites that look good in terms of appearance but are not yet SEO Friendly. It is this point that must be improved, namely, the performance of the website must be good in the eyes of search engines and the eyes of the user or audience.
What we will learn:
- Checking whether our website is practising on-site SEO properly.
- How to link from one page to another for SEO optimization.
In general, in addition to managing content, make sure you also have access to be able to manage title tags, page titles and meta tags. Most websites today use a Hypertext Mark-Up Language (HTML) code-based platform, such as Blogspot, and a Content Management System (CMS) such as that used by WordPress and Joomla. That is, make sure we can log in and set up the HTML or CMS code of our website.
If you are still using WordPress for free, you should start considering using a paid domain and web hosting because on a free account, the CMS code settings are very limited.
First Steps to Learn SEO from the Basics
Making your website SEO Friendly certainly requires a lot of effort. But you don’t need to worry because there is a lot of information that can be learned, related to optimizing the performance of your website using SEO.
As a first step, we will list a few things that must be prepared before setting up a website. That is, make sure that you have access to manage this list.
This deals with pretty deep technical issues, so if you have a webmaster or website designer, you can ask for help. Or if not, you can do some research and find out about this.
Here’s the list:
- Page titles on each page. This means HTML tags on every page.
- Meta tags on every page.
- Meta keywords on every page.
- Make sure there is only ONE <H1> ( heading ) on each page and post. H1 is usually used for page or post titles. You can use as many <H2> as you want, but make sure there is only 1 <H1> because if you use more than 1 heading, your post will be considered spam.
- Have a contact page.
- Can change or add content to the page.
- Access to blogs/ news pages.
On-Site Search Engine Optimization
There are only two main categories in SEO optimization: on-site and off-site.
- On-site SEO is optimization that is done within our own website. This is what we will discuss now.
- Off-site SEO is optimization from outside the website. In other words, get backlinks from other websites. There is some debate about the most appropriate and safe way of off-site SEO optimization, but we will discuss that in the next article.
How to optimize on-site SEO is as follows:
- Understand Website Structure
It’s important to understand the structure of a website because the way you link from one page to another can either optimize for SEO or destroy it. There is a so-called “silo structure” which is very popular because it does work to optimize SEO.
Another way that is no less important to optimize on-site SEO is to learn to link or link one page to another. When one article has a link to another article, it means we have done “link juice” which serves to increase each other’s rankings or traffic.
Some website templates come with a “Read more” feature automatically, so we don’t have to bother anymore. Well, what if you want to create a link or links within the content? We recommend using keywords as anchor text. Make sure to avoid toxic backlinks.
- Link Variations
In addition to keywords, we can also use several variations of links. For example:
- Read more at
- Click here
- Website address or naked link. Example: www.Gizmoconcept.com
- Post title
- Next article
If the above steps are done correctly, your website ranking will increase a week or a week later. Please remember, SEO is slow. Unlike when you take an exam at school or take a quiz where the results can be seen immediately.
New Keyword Optimization
Search Engine Optimization is closely related to keywords or commonly referred to as keywords. Choosing keywords that have high traffic potential is very important. The characteristics of good keywords are keywords with high search volume and high click value.
What we will learn:
- How to optimize existing content.
- Knowing what optimizations are classified as spam.
Say, we already have a list of keywords. Now is the time to optimize the results of the keyword research. Please look in your Google Webmaster Tools and check the keywords in Search Console. Look for keywords that are not in the top 5 rankings.
Copy those keywords into Google and see which pages or articles appear in the search results. This page is what we will optimize with these keywords.
Go to the page and make the following changes:
- Put the keyword phrase in the title tag. It’s better if you put it at the beginning.
- Put the keyword phrase in the <H2> tag or subheading. Add some relevant words to form a complete sentence. For example, your keyword is “Search Engine Optimization”, so make it into one complete sentence like “Easy Steps to Optimizing Search Engine Optimization”.
- Put ONE keyword phrase in the content.
- Put the keyword phrase in the meta keywords.
Just that. Check the ranking progress of the page you are optimizing for a week later.
SEO Learning Tips for Beginners:
- Don’t make the title tag too long, up to 60 characters.
- We recommend that you use a capital letter at the beginning of the word so that it doesn’t appear that the title tag is just a copy and paste result. Example: Complete Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Guide.
- Use natural phrases or sentences.
- If the content is not very relevant to the keyword phrase, then you need to revise the content to have relevance.
Excessive = Spam
Apart from creating new, original and quality content, there is nothing more for us to do. Next, we will definitely create new content and enter new keywords, right? So, there is no need to add too many keywords to the page we edited earlier. You definitely don’t want your page to look like a “pause”, do you? Take it easy, don’t overdo it.
Search for 20 or more keywords and keyword phrases or as many keywords as you want. Do the same as the steps above. Yes, this does sound like a long-winded move. But believe me, when you get used to it, optimization techniques like this will not feel heavy anymore.
In addition to optimizing existing pages, of course, you are free to create new articles with new keywords. This is the best strategy because, as we said earlier, if you’re constantly optimizing a page with lots of keywords, you’ll look like you’re spamming, and that’s not good for SEO.
It would be better if you use new keywords for new posts. Post articles with relevant categories. If the new post has relevance to the previous post, please link it.
- Start optimizing some pages with the keywords you have selected.
- Take a look at the results in Google Webmaster Tools and see if the ranking goes up or not.
Once again, we want to remind you, for beginners, learning SEO (Search Engine Optimization) techniques is not an instant job. It takes patience to get maximum results. That’s all from us, good practice, good luck.